The Watershed Science Laboratory at Worcester State University serves to focus faculty, student, and community attention on watershed issues. A watershed is an area of land that drains all of the rain and snow that falls within it to a single larger body of water such as a river, lake, or the ocean. Watersheds are a fundamental component of the geologic, hydrologic, ecologic, and cultural/industrial landscape and serve as a basic unit for addressing many regional scale management decisions related to complex, interdisciplinary environmental problems.
The Mission of the Watershed Science Laboratory is to:
- Foster the environmental awareness of students and contribute to the training and preparation of students for professional careers and/or graduate studies in environmental fields by developing tools and resources for watershed focused environmental science education
- Partner with community organizations to conduct regional stake-holder driven environmental research while also conducting basic research of global significance
- Provide fieldwork and analytical laboratory services to university researchers, public agencies, and community organizations to support environmental research, management, and monitoring activities
- Monitor, assess, and communicate trends in regional water quality and water availability
- Serve as a clearinghouse for information, data, and resources related to watershed science